Thursday 7 February 2013

Exam Unit- Illustration Brief - In depth Analysis - Quinten Jones



Quinten Jones is a model, illustrator and film maker and also a philosophy graduate at Cambridge. Afterwards she went to London central St. Martins to home her illustration. She has then made films for the fashion world, Chanel and Victoria Beckham. 

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     
"When I started illustration, I knew I wouldn't be successful with the sort of fragile colouring pencil illustration that was popular at the time, so I went my own way and tore paper and loosely slapped down paint. I guess philosophy is similarly about creating your own solution in the face of more established ones. Both are about problem solving." -http://fashion.telegraph.co.uk/news-features/TMG9698406/Whos-that-girl-Quentin-Jones.html


The use of composition is very usual putting random things upon one another to create an unsual shape. I think this piece was made by a mixture of handmade and digital techniques. I think that the pattern was draw and then scanned into the computer and that the hand and cat could be photographs. Then have then been put into photoshop and arranged around the models head. This artist has used interesting use of colour, only keeping colour in the lips. Is there a reason for this? I think the random use of objects makes the art work very abstract and modern and gives quite a lot of humor to the piece. Having pattern in there I think gives the image texture and layers.

This type of art work is abstract illustration. I think the artist was trying to be experimental and putting different things together that you wouldn't see in order to see the outcome and see how it would turn out. There's a model involved pulling a funny face and then other pieces have been added on through the computer.

When I first saw this work I would say that is was unusual to me and I had to think about whether I really liked it or not. Still I do not know whether I like it as I don't really get it. I prefer work that I can relate to and has depth of meaning init. With this piece, I've found it hard to guess whether it means something, is it symbolic? why has she only put in one colour on a selective area?




2 comments:

  1. Natasha, a brief start so please work hard to get this analysis completed for Monday to keep up with the work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You need to complete this analysis asap - you should actually have 2 by now. Make sure you use the in-depth analysis sheet:
    http://ccvagraphics.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/exam-lesson-3-in-depth-analysis.html

    ReplyDelete